Ikea Storage in the Craft Room

For a true marital compatibility test try assembling multiple large pieces of Ikea furniture.  Word! (fist pump in the air).

image from: http://www.ikea.com/ms/en_US/customer_service/assembly_instructions_new.html

 

You know it’s going to be a little rough going when your first instruction is to have an attitude adjustment.  :p

For this, my craft room, I needed lots of storage.  Lots.

 

I might have a little too much stuff.  You think?  If you only knew what I got rid of before we moved.

The Ikea we use is in Atlanta, about 2 hours from here.  I bought these pieces on a trip up there.

Two large wardrobes with drawer kits.

 

Plus one dresser to go between the wardrobes on the along the back wall of the craft room.

Birkeland 6 drawer dresser -image from: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10180524/

Fortunately, all of the whites matched :)   Sometimes their white colors are a little different from each other.

I also had to purchase the handles.  The dresser came with handles, but the wardrobes did not.  Unfortunately the handles that were on the dresser were not available to purchase individually.  Of course.  So in order for them to match I had to purchase new handles for all of it. I ended up getting  dark oil rubbed bronze plain handles.

After getting it all home and working up the nerve to go for it we started opening the boxes.  Aaccckkkk!  Inside the first box we opened one of the boards we could see was gray, not white, even though the outside of the box had the markings for a white set.  Dang it!!!  (Those are not the actual words  said…cleaning it up a bit so as not to sully my image with y’all).  Back to Atlanta with the 20 ton boxes to exchange them.  Well, once there, they opened the boxes completely.  Turns out it was only the inside of the drawers that were that color.  They were right all along…of course they were.  So back home we went to face the beasties.

Step one was opening everything up and sorting it all out.  I love sorting and organizing!  Really, I do.  It’s a sickness I know.

It took us two entire evenings, about 3 1/2 hours each, to get everything assembled.  We only did one drawer backwards and had to redo it.  Given how this whole shebang started I figured that wasn’t too bad.

I LOVE how they turned out!  The pieces form a cohesive wall unit and together they have massive amounts of storage.  The drawers are all smooth gliding and really deep.  The wardrobes themselves are especially tall and deep, front to back, too.  I have to get on a stool to reach the top shelves.

You can see these pieces go almost wall to wall in this room.  There is a little space, about 4 inches, on the outside edges of the wardrobes.  It’s just enough space for me to stash a few goodies, like my large cutting mat and some ready to be used frames & canvases. :)

The dresser is not as deep as the wardrobes so there is a little set back where they meet.  I don’t mind it at all.

I’ll give you a full tour of this room later, just wanted to share this “project” with you.  Yes, we assembled them together and remained happily married after.  Success!!

The good:  These pieces provide a huge amount of accessible storage.  The whites of the pieces all matched and they even matched the white trim & mouldings in this room perfectly.  Yay!

The bad:  The actual getting of the pieces to/from Atlanta on multiple trips was a bugger.  The shelves and drawers, because they are made of particle board, do sag if you put heavy things on them for long periods of time – like sewing machines or stacks of fabric. :(   I’m hoping that, at some point, we can reinforce them so they won’t droop.

While this set-up was a pricey (about $800) it was less expensive than the same amount of cabinets from the home improvement stores.

**I have received no compensation for specific products or retailers mentioned in this post.